A Healthy-ish Blueberry Cake Recipe
Bake this healthy-ish blueberry cake, smell the sweet aroma of the cooked blueberries and enjoy it with a hot beverage!
The cooked blueberries not only smell delicious but taste like blueberry jam. During the cooking time, some blueberries will drop to the middle of the cake resulting in a balanced distribution of sweet and juicy blueberries with a nice firm cake. You end up with two textures in one cake.
Blueberries are low in calories, high in antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals. I always keep fresh blueberries in my fridge. I love to eat them with porridge, with fruit salad, with Greek yoghurt and in a cake. They make colourful healthy smoothies too. I’ve even added them to certain savoury sauces, to add natural sugar, a bit of acidity and all the health benefits 😉
2 cups flour (I used wholewheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
170 gr Greek yogurt
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon Agave syrup or honey
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 C of 350 F.
- Rinse the blueberries and reserve.
- Sift dry ingredients and reserve.
- Whisk sugar and eggs until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the egg mix with sugar and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add oil, milk, vanilla and mix until fully blended.
- Finally, add yoghurt and syrup or honey and stir.
- Pour the batter on a greased mould, fill it to ¾ and tap the mould to get rid of air bubbles.
- Pour the fresh blueberries, push some down a little bit with your fingers.
- Bake for 50 minutes and let cool for another ten minutes.
- Enjoy it within two days if possible. The taste of the cooked blueberries is divine at the beginning but after a couple of days, it will become bitter.
- A different way to enjoy a slice or two of this glorious cake is to lightly toast it on both sides in the oven. The toasted texture is really good. Top it with clotted cream or butter…if you want to go all the way 😉
I hope you like this recipe 🙂
Find more sweet recipes here