Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter is nutritious and delicious – even more when homemade
This homemade chocolate peanut butter recipe came to life while I was testing ideas and playing with ingredients using my new food processor. I wanted to create a healthy, lightly sweet, peanut butter that would taste good spread on different kinds of bread, different fruits, and on its own – a decadent spoonful.
The result is a creamy peanut butter with an explosion of roasted peanut flavour and light hints of chocolate, salt, coconut and cinnamon. The texture gives room for creativity; I eat it with banana as a light dessert, with Greek yoghurt, spread on bread, or just a spoonful to enjoy the explosion of flavour and the creaminess that stays in the mouth.
Utensils: Food processor, silicone spatula, roasting pan, oven and measuring utensils.
Makes ~ 2 cups
2 cups Blanched unsalted peanuts
2 tbsp. 100% Cocoa powder
2 tbsp. Coconut oil
Pinch of Cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. Maple syrup
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Place peanuts in a roasting pan and roast in the oven at ~ 180℃ for about 20 minutes. They should be lightly golden.
- Place roasted peanuts in a food processor, add a pinch of salt and mix in high speed for about five minutes. The mix will go from ground peanuts to a ball of sticky looking dough and finally, result in a homogeneous paste.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and continue to process. The mix will soften a little.
- Then add cocoa powder and cinnamon to the peanut butter while processing. The more you process at high speed, the softer and creamier the texture will be.
How to keep chocolate peanut butter
- Keep it in a closed sealed container. You may keep it at room temperature for a couple of weeks and in the fridge for longer.
- When in the fridge, the texture will be more of a paste but at room temperature it will become softer and creamier.
Ideas to enjoy the homemade chocolate peanut butter
- Spread it generously on your favourite bread.
- With banana as a light dessert.
- With Greek yoghurt to add taste and texture.
- A spoonful just to enjoy the explosion of flavour and the creaminess that stays in the mouth.
I like the combination of banana and chocolate peanut butter as a light dessert
The inspiration for this simple healthy and nutritious dessert is my grandfather, who was a simple man with good taste. His favourite weekday dessert at home was a banana with ‘
Chocolate peanut butter with banana is my healthy version of Grandpa’s favourite dessert.
I would love to hear what you think about this recipe in the comment section.
If you make this recipe tag me on Instagram @solangelavander and use the hashtag #solangelavanderblog
If you like chocolate, you might also like: