How to Make a Classic Margarita Straight-Up?
One of my favourite cocktails to drink as ‘aperitif’ (before a meal) is the Classic Margarita Straight-Up (chilled and served without ice). I’m hard to please when it comes to this refreshing cocktail with a kick. I don’t like it when it’s too sweet.
I love to taste the fresh lime and a good Tequila, preferably Reposado!
There is nothing better than the taste of fresh ingredients and high-quality spirits!
Life before and during the pandemic
One of my favourite leisure activities in life is to go out for drinks and dinner. Music, people, interior design, the sound of cocktail shakers & bottles popping, laughter and scent of delicious food, create experiences that add colour and joy to life.
Weeks ago, life took a halt all over the world due to a pandemic. We started social distancing and adopted a ‘temporary lifestyle at home.’
With more time in my hands, I’ve been cooking and creating more recipes than before. The classic Margarita cocktail is a recipe that I wanted to perfect, and with the help of my partner, who has a talent for cocktail making, we developed a great Classic Margarita Straight-Up recipe that I would like to share with you.
Utensils needed: shaker, hawthorne strainer, grater, knife,
Glass: coupe or cocktail glass
2 oz Reposado Tequila
1 oz Cointreau, Triple Sec or your favourite orange liqueur
1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1 splash agave nectar
A little bit of grated lime zest, for flavour and decoration
Rough cut lime peel
Fine salt or salt flakes
- Chill the cocktail glass by filling it with ice cubes.
- Fill the shaker with ice cubes.
- Pour the Tequila, lime juice and agave nectar into the shaker.
- Close the shaker and shake vigorously until it is too cold to handle.
- Place salt flakes or salt on a shallow plate.
- Rub half of the rim of the cocktail glass with lime and place it upside down on the plate with the salt to adhere it to the rim.
- Remove the ice cubes from the cocktail glass and strain the mix from the shaker into it.
- Grate some lime zest to add a fresh lime flavour.
- Squeeze the lemon zest above the glass to release oils for an aromatic first sip.
Effects of the classic margarita cocktail
- I’ve noticed that like a good ‘aperitivo,’ the classic margarita wakes up my taste buds and gets me ready to enjoy a nice lunch of dinner.
- Sometimes, after hours of walking around while sightseeing or shopping, I feel tired and sleepy. A classic margarita made from scratch is the perfect wake-me-up drink…I guess it’s the vitamin C in the fresh lime juice 😉
For more drinks recipes click here