Roasted Squash & Sweet Potato Salad
This roasted squash & sweet potato salad is comforting, aromatic, has different textures and is filled with vitamins, fibre, antioxidants and flavour. This delicious salad can be a garnish or a main.
A warm salad filled with vitamins, antioxidants, fibre, different textures and flavour…
The inspiration for this recipe came to mind after tasting a similar salad at a restaurant in London. It was colourful, spicy and comforting. I created my version of the salad and even though it has a marinade, you can taste all the ingredients without any dominating the palate. The textures go from soft on the inside and golden on the outside to crunchy and fresh. The chilli flakes add a nice touch of heat – add as much or as little as you want!
Fresh high-quality ingredients can make a big difference
I’ve been going to a farmers market near my place in London on Sundays and I love to get fresh seasonal ingredients locally harvested. Squash is among the produce in season at this time of the year in the UK. It doesn’t get any fresher than buying it directly from the producers – well, unless you harvest it yourself, of course 😉
So, put on your favourite apron and start having some fun in the kitchen!
Serves: 3-4 people
4 small winter squash
1 sweet potato
2 cups of kale leaves
¼ cup Squash seeds
A few fresh thyme sprigs
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons of coriander marinade from the fab IG @elke.n_terapianutricional
- 2 cups coriander
- ½ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
* Blend all ingredients until smooth. Store left over in the fridge or freeze.
- Pomegranate seeds
- Chilli flakes
- Salt flakes
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 C
- Rinse well the squash and the sweet potato
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds
- Cut off the stem and cut the squash in medium-sized pieces
- Cut the sweet potato in similar sized pieces to cook evenly
- Place veggies in a bowl
- Clean and save the squash seeds
- Add marinade to the bowl with vegetables, mix and make sure all the pieces are covered
- Place baking paper in a baking tray
- Cover the baking tray with kale leaves
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle olive oil on top of the kale leaves
- Spread marinated pieces of vegetables on top of the kale leaves
- Scatter some fresh thyme sprigs
- Scatter squash seeds
- Cover with aluminium foil
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, remove the aluminium foil and move veggies around
- Turn oven to grill at 180 C
- Place uncovered baking tray back in the oven and cook on grill mode for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are golden
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, chilli flakes, salt flakes and serve.
Marinated vegetables Baking tray with all ingredients ready to go in the oven
This salad is a great meal on its own but can also be a great garnish for meat or chicken. It has an autumn feel to it.
I hope you make it and like it. Let me know how it goes in the comment section below.