Spicy Watermelon Margarita recipe
Spicy Watermelon Margarita made from scratch, with the finest ingredients & fresh fruit is a perfect summer cocktail to make at home!
When you think about watermelon, what comes to mind?
In my case; summer, sun, freshness, beach, water, bright colours, fun… Watermelon provides hydration, is delicious, especially when chilled, and is a beautiful fruit.
The story behind the Spicy Watermelon Margarita recipe
I‘ve been buying watermelon on a weekly basis this summer. I love to eat it chilled, add it to savoury and fruit salads, as well as to smoothies.
On weekends, my life partner and I like to make Margaritas for an aperitif. We had extra watermelon and decided to add a twist to our usual Margarita recipe. I must say, that Jaime is quite talented when it comes to cocktail making. After a few attempts, we developed a Spicy Watermelon Margarita recipe that is keeping us happily refreshed 😉
Tips to get the best version of Spicy Watermelon Margarita:
- My advice is to use good Tequila Reposado, but of course, you may use your favourite kind…it’s all about flexibility right?
- For a healthier natural outcome, make your own fresh watermelon juice.
- Squeeze fresh limes right before you make the cocktail, the taste will be fresher.
- Chop a bit of fresh chilli with seeds included.
- Add your favourite orange liqueur.
I love to drink a Spicy Watermelon Margarita for an aperitif or on a lazy afternoon al fresco, also, when surrounded by cool people, good food and lots of good laughs.
Serves: 2 cocktails
3 oz Tequila reposado
1 oz orange liqueur (ie. Cointreau or Triple Sec)
1.5 oz fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Agave nectar
4 oz fresh watermelon juice
2 slices of bird’s eye chilli
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder (I used Cayenne pepper)
1 small lime wedge
2 pieces of watermelon for decoration
- To make the fresh watermelon juice blend about a 1/4 watermelon and strain it to get a smooth texture.
- Chill the margarita glasses with large ice cubes while you make the cocktail.
- Mix the fine salt and chilli powder on a flat plate.
- Squeeze limes to make lime juice. Get rid of any seeds or pulp if necessary.
- Cut two slices of chilli and reserve.
- In a cocktail shaker add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, chilli slices, agave nectar and watermelon juice. Mix everything without ice and let the chillies infuse and add heat by letting it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Rub the lime wedge on half of the margarita glass rims.
- Place the lime rubbed rims upside down on the plate with the spicy salt.
- Cut pieces of watermelon with skin and place on the rim for decoration. The skin will make the decoration stay on the rim. However, if you prefer, decorate the rim with a big piece of chilled watermelon without skin, this way, you can eat the decoration 😉
- Add ice cubes to the shaker with the mix and shake vigorously until the shaker feels too cold to the touch.
- Use a strainer to pour the cocktail in the chilled decorated margarita glasses and enjoy!
Cheers! I hope you like this recipe, make it for friends and share it 🙂
Get more delicious cocktail recipes here.