Creamy Vegan Curry Recipe
This creamy vegan curry recipe is deliciously spicy, filled with colour and flavour, yet surprisingly light. The texture of the three cooked vegetables is soft, the coconut cream with aromatic spices blends perfectly with the natural flavour of the fresh vegetables.
A healthy creamy vegan curry full of flavour, vitamins and fibre!
This recipe has three main steps:
- Make the aromatic base sauce in a food processor or a blender. This sauce is the soul of this recipe flavour-wise and has some heat from the chilli.
- Cook the vegetables with the aromatic base sauce and add a couple of ingredients that will contribute with even more flavour.
- Add coconut cream which will blend beautifully with the aromatic sauce and the vegetables resulting in a delicious creamy sauce that you’ll want to enjoy in spoonfuls. Decorate with chopped coriander for a touch of fresh aroma and colour.
Serves: 4-6 people
Aromatic base sauce:
2 birds eye chillies chopped with seeds
3 Kafir lime leaves
5 cm fresh ginger peeled
2 garlic cloves peeled without the germ
1 cup of coriander stems rinsed
1 orange squeezed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lemongrass smashed, to release the aroma and chopped in big pieces
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 onion diced
1 tomato diced
1 big aubergine cut in big pieces
½ butternut squash cut in big pieces
3 red bell peppers peeled, deseeded and cut in medium sized pieces
4 tablespoons soy sauce
380 ml coconut cream
1 cup boiling water
1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
Chopped coriander leaves to decorate and to add a fresh aroma
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Rinse, clean and process the ingredients to make the aromatic base sauce. Blend for about five minutes and reserve.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large wok or a saucepan at medium-high heat.
- Colour the diced onion in the coconut oil.
- Add the aromatic base sauce and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add the diced tomato and mix well.
- Add the butternut squash and mix well. Make sure all the pieces are covered in the base sauce.
- Cook the butternut squash for about ten minutes at medium-low heat and then add the aubergine pieces and stir. Cook for a few minutes and add the soy sauce for flavour and liquid.
- Add the red bell pepper and stir. Cover and cook for about five minutes.
- Finally, add the coconut cream and boiling water and cook until the butternut squash, which is the vegetable that will take longer to cook, is soft.
- Serve in a hollow plate or a bowl and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on top for colour and fresh aroma.
- If you want more heat, sprinkle chopped chilli on top.
I love to serve this dish by itself, almost like a hearty soup because I love to enjoy the aromatic and spicy sauce in spoonfuls. However, you may accompany it with the garnish of your preference such as, quinoa, rice, cous cous, or anything that you like.
I hope you like it as much as I do 🙂
Find more recipes on the blog: